Goodreads

Schuylerville Public Library Book Club's currently-reading book montage
Schuylerville Public Library Book Club 7 members
The Schuylerville Public Library is located in Schuylerville, NY. Our book club reads one book a mo...

Books we're currently reading

Breakfast with Buddha Breakfast with Buddha
by Roland Merullo
Start date: June 1, 2011



View this group on Goodreads »

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Thing 1: Blogging

My name is Amanda and I am the Program Coordinator at the Schuylerville Public Library.  I am still new to the job, and to the wonderful world of libraries, so everytime I have the chance to learn something new, I am anxious to get all the information I can into this little brain of mine.  Blogs are something I know very little about, but have been toying with idea of getting to know them.  When this online course made its way to my inbox, I decided it was fate!  I was meant to blog!

What's that, my new friend the Blog, you want to know a little about me?  Ok, ok...
I am from Maine, and I recently moved to New York after the birth of my first baby, Atticus.  I moved into a wonderful home that has been in my fiance's family since the 1800s, and I have fallen in love with it.  The family built it from the ground up, and as generations have added to it, it has become a cozy environment full of past memories and excitment of new ones to come.  I am so grateful to be living here, and raising my son here. 

I have a degree in Interior Design, though I don't do anything with it (other than decorate my own house, only to fall in love with a different decor and change it again), and I am a semester and half away from a bachelors in Media Studies and Communications.  I hope to go back to school sometime next year and persue Library Science, a field I am so excited to become a part of. 

The most prominent thing I have learned from "Thing 1: Blogging" is how to set up a blog.  I never really took the time to see where to set one up, so this has given me a great outlet to do that.  I love that their are different levels of blog knowledge and with each level, we have the ability to customize and add more to our blogs.  I have thought about creating a newsletter for the library, but will probably go with this, in lue of that because it gives such a myriad of information for the patrons.  With a blog we have the ability to post pictures and videos of events, which may make them more excited to be a part of future ones, rather than if they just read an article on it.  It also gives us a way to link our facebook and website and everything together so they get more information, if they want it.  What I really love is that it will give the patrons a voice, also, by way of comments.  If they have a great idea they'd like to share, they can post it there!  I love it.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome! Great idea to use a blog as a newsletter for your patrons. It really is such an easy way to get the news out and give your community another way to communicate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, second little Atticus I've heard of recently! I wonder how many he'll have in his life? I have an Ezra, which, I've discovered, most adults have never heard of as a name, yet he knows three others already at age 8.

    ReplyDelete